Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Two Types of Faith

"There are two, and only two, types of faith: The one from the fact that I trust someone... the other from the fact that I acknowledge something to be true." - Martin Buber

According to Buber, religious faith involves either trusting God or believing in a revealed truth. I am very good at the latter. I wholeheartedly believe that Jesus was born of a virgin birth, died on the cross, rose on the third day, etc. The former? Not so good.

But isn't that the reason Jesus came? Isn't that the primary takeaway of both the Old and New Testaments? In reconciling us to the Father, Christ paved the way for us to trust in a person. To trust in a person as real as you and me; in an all-powerful, yet personable God and His mercy. Christ is both the reason and the source for this trust; God cannot disown himself.

I want to trust God this way - unconditional trust that overshadows fact, logic, truth, belief, reason and emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment