Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Gift

It is such a blessing to have parents who love the Lord... parents whose lives are availed as a gold mine for their children. Other than the right answer of Jesus, my parents have been the greatest "gift" I've been given. Their wisdom has constantly challenged me to consider Christ; their example confirming that God holds to His promises. I would continue to their love, patience, etc. but that would just be mushy and self-serving (Hi Dad, Hi Mom). My parents read this.

In Nepal, one of the greatest take-aways was the preciousness and glory of Christ - seen through the dedication and lives of the believers there. I mentioned this before, but to reiterate.. their zeal was so infectious. I came back convinced that I was GOING to live like them. Nonetheless, the distractions of earthly pleasures and their pursuit grow like thorns, strangling the vibrancy and passion of knowing Christ. It is easy to cynically look at believers in 3rd world countries and claim that it is far easier for them to be dedicated to Him... after all, He is all they have. Yet, He is all we have too.

I started reading Ecclesiastes and I must say, I really resonate with Solomon. He was spot on. All the things we "possess" and work to secure are essentially meaningless; a chasing after the wind. In the midst of this malaise, how refreshing is it to see lives lived in relative comfort with the conviction that, when heaven and earth pass away, Jesus is all we have. We can now BE, knowing that He is all we need and that He came (Romans 8:32). To "seek Him first", and allow the promises of God to hold true.

I am so, so far from understanding or exemplifying. As C.S. Lewis noted, my desires not too strong but rather, too weak. Too easily distracted. Too often defeated. Too seldom living in the promised freedom. Back to the top.. what a blessing and treasure it is to have parents who point and pour out His preciousness to their children. It is truly the best gift they could ever give, and I am truly indebted.

Heart

Cracked by deceit
The mirror gone
My own lies
This image torn

One saw it all
And still accepted
Cured the shame
Now Him reflected

Shine more
Shine pure
Shine
Till all they see is You
- 5/21/2009

1 comment:

  1. Your parents are such a blessing and inspiration for young parents like me.

    ReplyDelete