Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Harsh

I see two dynamics with people who are unusually harsh on themselves:
1) Pride: They think they deserve better, or ought to have done better
2) Fear: Fearful that, were they not as hard on themselves, they would end up either lazy or judged

"If I am this harsh on myself, people cannot be any harsher on me. I am safe." Paradox is, the God who created you, knows you fully and loves you, is not that harsh on you. And in His providence, you are safe.

The solution is not to be nicer to yourself or to love yourself more... It is to understand that the God who knows you fully - better than you know yourself - has already accepted you in Christ. In spite of all the evidence contrary and all the reasons for Him to not love you, He loves you anyway. You are hidden in Him.

"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known." 1 Corinthians 13:12

No comments:

Post a Comment