Thursday, January 21, 2010

Pity

I have a few friends that I tend to pity. Friends who, when mentioned, provoke responses of "I feel bad for them....", "Do they know that they..." or even, "We have to pray for so and so, because..." When I investigate my heart, I find that much of my pity is akin to the elder brother mentality in the parable of the prodigal son.

In my "pity", I compare myself with another and glory in the betterment of my standards applied to their lives. How do I know this true? There have been countless times where God has worked and changed the lives of people I once felt bad for. Instead of praising His mercy and grace, I find myself uncomfortable, angry and jealous. The basis of righteousness (i.e. the betterment of my standards) is threatened, and all my "work" seems pointless; God does not appear fair.

If we only knew the full extent of being "hidden in Christ." We enjoy delighting in the benefit of being God's children, but do we know that it also means we are no longer our own? We are not the god of our lives anymore, and all such "pity", "feel bad for" and jealous envy is nothing but foolishness. God's love is not mutually exclusive; He shows no favoritism.

In light of, or rather because of my foolishness, I am thankful to God that He gives more, more and more grace.

"Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found." Luke 15:31b-32

"
What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask.

But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded." James 4: 1-2, 6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment