Saturday, April 11, 2009

Narita Airport

First stop, Narita Airport. Shower, soba, unspecified beverages, lounges... Thank you United. Ran into my uncle and cousin transiting from Hokkaido - what a small world.

I feel a bit guilty posting this, given the purpose of my trip and all. But I'd be lying if I selectively posted pictures of me in a rural setting - covered with mud, mosquitoes, etc. Funny how that picture is the common perception of mission trips. It's almost like there's a mission tier status. The more suffering, the holier (Disclaimer: This is me rambling and does not reflect what is taught at Perspectives or what my dad believes).

There is a reason for the beverage BTW. The lounges here have automatic beverage dispensing machines, which tip the chilled glass at the perfect angle to create the perfect amount of froth. I had to try it. They also have automatic toilets, but... To be honest, the trip has been great so far. It's nice to get a break from work (no blackberry buzzing or "what should I be doing") and having 14 hours of movies, books and reflection. I watched Twilight and liked it.

I also started reading Charlie's book on calling: A Journey Worth Taking (Charlie Drew). There's this one part that really struck me -

"When we allow the calls to self-discovery and service to eclipse the call to God, they cease to be calling at all, for we have bidden the Caller to leave. We become idolaters (even if we are engaged in worthwile spiritual causes), and our idolatry makes us miserable. Self-discovery becomes depressing because the things we "discover" about ourselves tend to be unflattering. Work and service begin to dry up and lose their sense of purpose. Or they degenerate into what we do to get approval or to get the money we need to enjoy ourselves somewhere else. Or they become obsessions that bring on sleepless nights, inhibit serious friendships, and send us to an early grave..."

Wow. This was one of those passages you read, put the book down, and let the weight of its truth convict you.

Anyway... this post turned out longer than I expected as my flight was delayed. Next stop, Bangkok.

No comments:

Post a Comment